The Outbreak: I am the message center

Friday, May 13, 2005

I am the message center

Hello to Benjamin and Edgy Mama, who left comments in the post below. Hello to everyone who visits this page. I myself go to a lot of blogs every day--reminding myself that everyone is going through more or less the same thing is a big part of my routine now. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it's the opposite of helpful, but usually the former. Welcome everyone.

Ken:
Sunday was Mother's Day. You know what? It was the first day since this all started that I didn't think of them. Is that weird? I wonder how she would have dealt with all of this.Sean - have you heard from Dave since last week? I had a couple of emails with him since you found about his family, but I haven't heard anything in a while.
I thought of your mom and everyone on Mother's Day, too. I wasn't able to see my parents that day--the situation on the Southern State was always bad enough on Mother's Day even before all this shit, so I didn't even try. But I was able to talk to my mom for a bit, and I realize fully how lucky that makes me. Actually, I said that to her a couple of times, which made her cry, which I didn't want to do. Hope you got through the day alright, Kenneth.

And no, I haven't heard from Dave. Given how things are in Seattle (same as in Rhode Island? Who the hell knows) I don't know if that's because of his parents or because of something worse, and I can't believe there could even BE anything worse. You know what? I've got to get over this disbelief nonsense. This is just how it is now. We all did it a few years ago and we can all do it again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

Thanks for the shout out. Do you remember cable news? I don't really miss it. It'd probably still be covering stories of runaway brides instead of body counts if it was still around.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

Long ago I read that most people in emergencies ignored their flight or fight mechanism because they did not want to believe something terrible was happening, that it couldn't be real.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Sean T. Collins said...

We still get the cable news occasionally, though they've largely consolidated with the network franchises at this point. It was interesting watching the coverage slowly dwindle and the channels flicker out. Round the clock crisis coverage only really makes sense if you have an audience that isn't a part of the crisis, I guess. Now the news is fairly utilitarian, but never utilitarian enough. I'm telling you, if they don't start warning people against hospitals they're going to have another huge outbreak on their hands someplace.

Monday, May 16, 2005 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home