The Outbreak: Stay put

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Stay put

Don't kick us out of the house, Kurt. He's not reading this but I want to say that anyway. We're not a part of his family and no matter how well we've gotten along in the past, everything has changed. So please don't kick us out of the house, because I don't know how we'll make it to Garden City right now. They really just launch themselves at cars and if enough get to you you crash. Last time the news was on some truck driver panicked and took his tanker onto the Southern State, crashed into an overpass, no one cleared it, as far as I know it's still burning. I am still going to slip the rent under the door on Friday.

I do know my family is alright. They're staying upstairs because there's no door between the side door and the basement. They're thinking about going outside to the garage tomorrow first thing to get the door that used to be there and put it back up. Everything's much quieter during the day but that's relative because every day is worse than the last now. I'm a little calmer, at least, but that's probably the halcion. Amy's more doped up than I am, and spends most of the day sleeping or crying. Halcion, ambien, melatonin, tylenol pm, benadryl, nyquil. I remember when she used to work in the emergency room. Already using past tense? Anyway when she'd work in the emergency room and see a dead body she'd be really disturbed. She hated it. I only ever saw one, and I didn't even really see it. There was a white sheet over it, a car accident on Covert Avenue in Stewart Manor, near Sewanhaka. Nothing.

Amy's family is okay too. Everyone I've talked to who is still okay is still okay because they haven't left their houses. Trying to take advantage of the situation, fucking, People who travel should just be shot, the fucking son of a bitches. Kill them all, kill them all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd C. Murry said...

Jeez, I’m glad something out there is still working. I can tell you the Southeast is pretty bad, but it hasn’t completely fallen to pieces yet. I was at a meeting in Turner City, and I didn’t get as lucky as your wife (I got stuck here by the airport closure), but I can still get a wireless connection behind the Math building at the state University here. I don’t know how much longer this will last, though, and it’s getting progressively more dangerous to move around.

I can’t seem to find out any info on the Southwest though. My wife and kids are back in Los Prados, and the cell phones here were the first thing to go. But the main problem is the lack of info. I have no access to a TV right now (I may try to get back into my Hotel later, but I don’t like the look of Vinland Ave. right now), and it seems the news websites are barely being maintained except for a few updates from the big costal cities.

I’m going nuts trying to find out what’s going on in Los Prados, so if anyone reading this has info, let me know. Is there any other communication points on the net where I people might be exchanging status reports? Let me know. Good luck to you and you family. I’ll return to your blog if I get a chance.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger Sean T. Collins said...

Todd, thank you for commenting. So glad to hear from anybody, anywhere.

I too am amazed that the Internet is still available at all. Whoever is working at Blogger and Optimum must be treating it like they're defending the Alamo. If people stop communicating it's all over.

No cell phones here either, and now the landline is gone again, maybe for good. I haven't found any good centralized sites--they all seem to get crashed as quickly as they create them. If you have a specialized interest board you hang out on, I would seriously just go there. People seem to be passing information back and forth wherever they can--for example there's a big thread at the Comics Journal board about who's okay and who's not, and everyone's describing what their area is like. Maybe you can find out about your family that way. I hope they are all right.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home