The Outbreak: TGIF

Friday, August 12, 2005

TGIF

Another drive, another sighting: A pair of revs this time, a young black guy and an old Asian woman with half her foot missing. These two seemed more potentially hostile than the junkie-zombie I saw the other day. They too were walking down the grass toward oncoming traffic, but they were a lot closer and had that look they get when they're hunting. But they must have figured out what happens if you get too close to a car moving at 50 mph, because they weren't just launching themselves at the nearest vehicle like a lot of revs did when things first started. I can't decide if this apparent capability for learning, at least as much as animals that live near a road can learn, is good or bad for us. I'm leaning toward good in this particular set of circumstances, because even though those kamikaze revs at the beginning may not have been able to smash open a moving car and pull people out, they caused a lot of accidents, at which point they either created more revs or ate the survivors. (I'm sorry to be so callous about it, but that's what they did, so let's not mince words.) That's a lot less likely to happen now.

As you may have been able to gather we've been doing a lot more driving recently--since we got back from Boston, really. As crazy as that journey may have been, and I think I've been so quiet about it BECAUSE it was so fucking insane to do--believe me, I could be telling stories almost daily--it was an enormously inspiring taste of semi-normalcy. (Hate that word. It's not really a word! Normality, people, normality. But English is a living language, so oh well.) It was sort of like an anti-cowardice inoculation. Now if a day goes by without spending at least half an hour in the car it feels like a failure. Let's just hope those emergency gas reserves hold up, because god only knows when they'll start being able to import from Saudi and Venezuela again.

On a final note, I decided to import my blogroll from my old site to this one. If you really want to bring yourself down, click around and see how many people are actually still alive and updating. Johnny Bacardi's family put up a lovely tribute to him, at least. He was a good blogger and a good guy.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean, it's good to find your site. I've only gotten back online a few days ago and I'm amazed at how the rest of the net seems to be in denial. Here in Louisiana things are shaky, but that seems to be the case everywhere. Haven't seen a rev, zombie, whatever in 3 or 4 weeks but me and my son are far away from civilization. Does money still work? Is everything inflated? (prices that is) I,ve got a couple thousand dollars holed away, but I need solar panels. I'm running off of car bateries and converters. Game is plentiful, but we're almost out of vitamins and I'm worried about malnutrition. Any news about the area ya'll could pass along would be much appreciated.

-jerry

Saturday, August 13, 2005 1:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaah, I don't know- I always thought Bacardi was a right bastard. And his family? Well, let's just say they wasted no time selling all his junk and living it up with the insurance money.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 8:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean, Bill here.
I've seen a few on the highways also. Is it getting worse again? or are you thinking this is the new norm? A few revs wandering around the roadsides and they're just another road hazard?

If they're learning... scary. I'd hate to think they're learning to ration us and are massing for a big strike....

BTW: what are you paying for gas? or are you stealing it? getting it from some friend with a stockpile?

I can't take this heat! My AC can't keep up and it's a real strain on the power grid which is still not 100% after the total clusterfuck period when his all started. There's lots of brown outs when everyone has their AC on at the same time. very frustrating. I mean, can't this shit get fixed already?

In other news, my town patrol is deeply devided on trying to capture a rev. I've been arguing for it for over a month now and have a few buddies who are "go". It might be time to just do it, though I'd be afraid of the others killing the damn thing on me when I was sleeping or something.
Anyone else captured one? See how long they go without feeding? anyone know if they still drink? I sure as shit still do.

Anywho, be well, everyone.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Sean T. Collins said...

Jerry--Yeah, money still works where I am, though it seems to be more out of group consensus agreement than out of the Invisible Hands of the Market or whatever. Fine with me. I haven't heard much about the Deep South, though I assume no news is good news. The West Coast seemed to get it the worst.

David Jones--I'm going to restrain myself momentarily, but I would advise you really shouldn't talk shit about people's dead friends on their weblogs. That's about as civil as I can be, I think.

Bill, glad to hear from you. Gas doesn't seem to be in such short supply around here since they got the strategic oil reserves up and running, but I guess a lot depends on the accessiblity of the highways in your area--as you can gather from my last post, they've done a pretty phenomenal job of clearing the roads and keeping them clear. At any rate we are friendly with the guy who runs the gas station up the street from us--I filled up the car two/three times a week before everything happened so he knew me anyway, and I think he's grateful about what Kurt did for his (I think) second cousin, who was the immigrant across the street who revved up and got shot by my landlord. So he hooks us up.

I'd be really interested to hear what becomes of your captured zombie should you ever get one. The weird thing is that you just KNOW that the government has captured probably hundreds. I don't know why they don't report on this--unless there's nothing good to report, of course.

Take care Bill!

Monday, August 15, 2005 10:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill here.
Hey, good point, man. hte army must have caught a few... maybe I should leave this to the pros and stay safe.

But I'm so BORED.
Sure, that's not the most sane thing I've ever said, but fuck it.

Monday, August 15, 2005 12:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home