The Outbreak: New Orleans

Sunday, August 28, 2005

New Orleans

I don't even want to think about what is going to happen in New Orleans tonight. I never had the chance to visit, but it always seemed like the kind of city I'd love. I know it fared poorly in the initial outbreak, though it never became the totally lost city the rumours pegged it as for a while. (That would be Seattle, and to an extent Portland, I guess.) But this...the reports are non-stop, mainly, I guess, because the newspeople are happy to have another story to talk about finally, and they're terrifying. I did a quick google search and discovered that before the outbreak the projection was that a category five storm could kill anywhere from 20,000 to 100,000 people. That's not injuries, or people made homeless--that's fatalities. And we know what happens with fatalities now. And with the current leading origin hypothesis leaning toward Banda Aceh and the tsunami, you can't help but see the fearful symmetry.

I miss my friend Josiah. He was my best friend in college, and we want to do comics together someday. I've only been able to talk to him two or three times since the outbreak started. (He was always hard enough to get ahold of even before dead people started killing and eating live people.) He lives in New Orleans.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living in Florida you get used to the storms... But its awefully hard to get used to people dying and rising again.

I keep hoping that it wouldnt hit us but then again its like a double edged knife, a lose-lose situation. I dont want to get hit by the storm and i dont want people dying because we already have enough of those things.

We are doing ok here in St Augustine but im afraid if that storm heads this way things may rise again. The townspeople have already boarded up the windows and stocked up on whatever supplies they could.

The thing that worries me about this place is that they dont kill the revs that come here they lead them into The Fort and the entrance is baricaded with a fence and attached to that is a small wire hooked to the electricity and if that goes out. Oh Boy.

Mother Nature has become full of wrath.

Sunday, August 28, 2005 6:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home