The Outbreak: What happened

Monday, April 04, 2005

What happened

Somehow the old lady next door's daughter and son-in-law made it over here. (I think he was an auxiliary fireman.) They found the place empty and trashed and as they were going through it I overheard them. I went downstairs and got Kurt and Kevin and we went to talk to them. When we told them what happened to their mother they teared up, but it's like they expected it, so they didn't break down. It was only after we told them we had her dog that the guy got mad, really mad. (The daughter not so much--come to think of it, maybe she was drugged up too.) We thought to rescue the dog but not a human fucking being? Kevin tried to explain that we didn't think, nobody thought anything for the first couple of days. The only reason we were able to rescue that dog when we thought to do anything, finally, was because they don't eat animals apparently. If they had wanted to eat the dog they'd have eaten the dog. (She would have eaten the dog, but I ddint' say that.) But the guy was completely apeshit at this point. How could you resuce the GODDAMN dog but not her? She was a HUMAN FUCKING BEING! His wife was trying to calm him down. It was going to take forever for them to get back home even though they only lived in like Levittown or something like that, I mean you could see from his Jeep that it's sstill hell on earth out there. It was all dented and scratched up and there was at least one dark brownish stain on it, and the windshield was cracked on one side. Before things got ugly with them they'd said the crews had pretty much swept the whole area but tehy can't stay all in one place for long, obviously, they've got a lot to cover what with the Army tied up in NYC. The helicopters they're using as gunships they only just got the helipads cleared--apprently a lot of people thought the'd be safe in areas like that, which was wrong. Anyway he's flipping out, she's choking back tears or whatever on whatever she's on and me Kurt and Kevin are trying to like inch back toward the house, because this guy's raising such a fucking racket, I mean they'd have to be deaf if they were around, you know? Suddenly Amy yells from the deck, like it was ripping right from her throat instead of actually travelling through her mouth first, SEEEEAAAAAAAANNNN!!!! And I can't see her from where we are, but what she said later was that she could see one just completely hauling ass through the backyards, trying to find us. You can see into like 15 different backyards from our deck on the second floor, which is exactly why we've stayed off the damn thing, but she wanted to check and see if things were going okay with this family. Anyway she says the thing looked at her for like a half a second but then forgot about it, like it knew it couldn't get to her and was just gunning for us. So this guy is still yelling and all of a sudden he hauls off and punches Kevin right in the face, smashing his glasses off his face, Pow! And then I swear to God the guy just runs, just like books right out of there, leaving his wife who's standing their slackjawed at this point. So Kurt, you can see him for a minute completely torn, because he's had this martial arts training and he's totally ready to deck this guy who's not far away yet, but his brother-in-law just got cold-cocked, and the look on his face, it was like that cartoon sound the cartoon characters make when they shake out their heads after something happend to them. It was almost comical. So he decides and bends to help Kevin off the ground, then BAM! Right through the crack in the fence comes this guy, looks like a delivery guy only the entire left side of what you can see of his body is just this one giant mass of red, from the cheek down, this giant mass where whoever killed him just gnawed and ripped away until he came back to, which is when they stop, which I don't know have you ever heard of anything like that before in nature before now? Ever? Uhhhhhhhh, he yells or shouts like he's been punched in the stomach and is trying to get his wind back, uhhhhhhhhhhh, and the woman now she runs too, in the direction of where her husband ran to. She thought to do this right away, and as I stood there what popped into my head as clear as if I was watching it on TV the day it first aired was the final episode of Season Five of The Sopranos (spoiler alert) where Tony and Johnny Sack are standing in Johnny's backyard talking after everything's blown over and they're making friends again and you're like "ahh, I'm really glad about this," then you see Tony notice something over Johnny's shoulder and he all of a sudden takes off, and there's like two or three seconds where neither you nor Johnny have any clue WHAT'S going on, you're just frozen there in the snow, and then Johnny turns and it's the FBI running over the hill to come get him, and he moves but too late. So that's what I'm seeing even as I'm standing there closest to this guy as he's making that horrible fucking sound running full tilt like he's gonna jump over me when he gets to me, like a high jumper, that's how much this guy is just flooring it with his tongue hanging out between his upper and lower jaw on the left side of his face because there's barely any cheek there at all and you can see like spittle or whatever that is literally flowing off his tongue and blowing backwards he's running so fast. So I just make this "huhhh" sound, the same sound i made that time when I saw Ryan out of the corner of my eye in the dining room and thought he was a ghost, and again I just like fall almost to the ground like I did that time. But as I bring my arms up to shield my face not specifically agains tthis thing but just shield my face I all of a sudden notice the knife is in my hand, I'd had it tip away from the man and woman so now it's like classic Psycho position, and fump the thing runs into me and I bring it down and slush right into its eye and the bridge of its nose, you can feel it scrape against the bone and then bump against the back of the skull because everything in between has slowed it down and you don't have enough momentum to push it all the way through, and the thing just falls down dead. Dead dead. I let out a couple more "huhh, huhh"s and just like back away, like what? And then I go "hooooo", as in "somebody say ho!" rather than an owl going hooo, hooo. Amy's now down at the front door and yells "get inside!" And that's enough to get the three of us sort of snapped out of it and we move inside. But i go back for the knife cause we'll need it. It pulls out pretty easy and at this point it's not even disturbing, because you know it's not alive or even ambulatory anymore, it's just matter. So we get inside and Kurt and Kevin stay by the door to make sujre if that man and woman come back, and Amy and I go back upstairs. I tossed the knife in the sink and covered it with a pot because we don't need Lucy licking at it, who knows what's in that blood. I told Amy the story and she got that quiet demeanor where it's like she knows she's expected to say something but also knows that whatever she'd say almost redundant compared to what she's expected to say. But I don't really expect her to say anything, except she hugs me for a long time, which is good and fine. It wasn't that hard to do. Honestly, it was mostly instinct coupled with an accident--instinctual self-defense. But you know how you can feel like an echo of certain physical things you do in the muscles and bones that did them? I can feel that scraping, like the way the meat of my hand vibrated as the knife scraped against the bone. In terms of things I ever expected to feel in my whole life that was not one of them, no SIR. In my worst nightmares I was always in the army or in prison or in permament high school, someplace where you couldn't control what you got to do with your life and you weren't free to just leave if you didn't want to be there. Or like when people are captured and tortured, I always thought, Don't they know my mommy loves me? I mean, don't they know my mommy loves me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home