The Outbreak: I don't want it to happen again

Saturday, April 09, 2005

I don't want it to happen again

Our wireless connection went down yesterday and it scared me to death. It turned out just that something got unplugged or something like that, but it took forever to figure it out because we weren't even sure who's connection we'd been using, and Kurt was asleep when it happened and we didn't have the heart to wake him so we just sat there like idiots, not having anything to say, just pulling the towels and blankets to the side and staring out the window. It's not like we need it to keep in touch with people, even--the phones, while spotty, have been okay for the past few days. It's just that each time something fails or shorts or goes down, you think, "Well, that's it for that. That's the last time we'll have that." I don't want entropy, I don't want things to disintegrate. If there's anything good you can take from the horror of the past two weeks it's that things haven't fallen completely apart, at least not around here. And then you think about the places where it HAS fallen apart, and then you cry and cry and cry.

I'm going to try to visit my family. Soon, soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger zack soto said...

We've been having power outages here in Baton Rouge. Every time it happens I'm worried it's for real. My girlfriend and I are holed up in the top of the design building on campus, and I'm not sure if we're running off the city's line or the school's generators. It's pretty insane out there.. I haven't been outside for days except to peek around from the balcony of the room we're in. For some reason there are lots of them hanging around Tiger Stadium like they're still tailgating in the afterlife. brrr. Fucking creepy. I keep watching marx brothers movies on on my laptop to keep my spirits up, somehow hoping to learn a trick or two from them about laughing in the face of absurdity. I've "killed" two former classmates that were allready dead and it's starting to feel ok. I just have to stop thinking about how futile everything seems...

ok. Good luck, man.

Monday, April 11, 2005 2:55:00 AM  
Blogger Sean T. Collins said...

I am starting to wonder, from hearing things like this, if maybe they're clearing out one region at a time instead of nationwide. From what I can gather, any congregation of revs around here is mowed down as soon as they can muster the helicopters; the individual ones that evade the house-to-housers are the real threat. It seems fucking crazy to me ignore whole cities in favor of others--who makes that call anyway?--but I just don't know what the options are. At times I get the impression that the crews around here are acting autonomously, and that outside of either the Town or the County, there's not much of a structure. But I don't think that can be. The news is useless at any rate and I trust the first-hand info I'm getting from other blogs like this a lot more than whatever makes it on the air. Okay, sorry to ramble. Take care of yourself Zack.

Monday, April 11, 2005 1:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home